From 1995 to 1998, People-to-People Health Foundation, Millwood, Va., examined the management tools and strategies that managed care organizations use to influence technologies used by primary care physicians—including how to prescribe drugs and make referrals to specialists.
This project was part of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) national program Changes in Health Care Financing and Organization (HCFO).
- Most health maintenance organizations (HMOs) use a list of preferred drugs, known as a formulary, to influence the drug-prescribing behavior of primary care physicians.
- The majority of HMOs govern access to specialists by requiring primary care physicians to follow specific referral procedures.
- The study also yielded findings on profiling of primary care physician practices and how management tools and strategies vary according to the method HMOs use to:
- Compensate primary care physicians (e.g., salary, formulary).
- Encourage primary care physicians to prescribe generic drugs.
- Profile of primary care physicians' prescribing rates.
- Educate primary care physicians about drug prescribing.
Changes in Health Care Financing and Organization Project Results
Individual project results from the RWJF national program, Changes in Health Care Financing and OrganizationRead the Program Results for Changes in Health Care Financing and Organization View all
Mildred Dalton Manning, the last surviving member of a group of U.S. Army and Navy nurses taken prisoner in the Philippines at the start of ...
Learn how to improve care transitions and prevent avoidable hospital readmissions, and pick up nursing and medical education con-ed credits.
"We often see the benefits of diversity as being for minorities," Angela Amar writes. "We seldom see that the majority benefits as well."
Join the Commission on June 19, 2013 for a public meeting to raise awareness of how non-medical factors influence health and move public- an...
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in two key areas: early childhood and healthy communities.
A national conversation highlighting efforts to improve care transitions, reduce avoidable hospital readmissions, and lift overall quality o...
Legislation Would Dramatically Expand FDA’s Oversight of Compounding Pharmacies - Study: Diners Dramatically Underestimate Calories in Fast ...
The strange pull of this series is its humanity, not its horrors.
While the need to address disparities in care is well known, few strategies for reducing disparities have been studied systematically.
By “practicing” with medical simulation and by interacting with culturally diverse standardized patients, students and residents can develop...
Team members, grantees, and guests discuss breakthrough ideas that will allow us to move toward solving challenges in health care.
The RWJF Roadmaps to Health Prize honors outstanding community partnerships which are helping people live healthier lives. The six winners w...