The IMPACT Delaware Tobacco Prevention Coalition, with the American Lung Association as the lead organization, conducted statewide activities to reduce tobacco use, particularly among children and youth.
The project was part of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) national program SmokeLess States® National Tobacco Policy Initiative.
Key Results: Among the results of the project are the following:
- Delaware passed a comprehensive Clean Indoor Air Act which also overturned preemption.
- Delaware increased its cigarette excise tax from 24 to 55 cents per pack.
- The University of Delaware went smoke-free.
- Delaware passed legislation that limits youth access to tobacco products.
- Delaware created the Delaware Health Fund, a repository for all the monies from the Master Settlement Agreement.
- The coalition helped each Delaware hospital create a tobacco education program for patients.
- Delaware instituted mandatory compliance checks in retail outlets selling tobacco products in 1998.
- The IMPACT Delaware Tobacco Prevention Coalition developed a comprehensive tobacco control plan for the state, A Plan for a Tobacco Free Delaware.
SmokeLess States National Tobacco Policy Initiative Project Results
Individual project results from the RWJF national program, SmokeLess States National Tobacco Policy InitiativeRead the Program Results for SmokeLess States National Tobacco Policy Initiative
- About this grant
The What's Next Health series features leading thinkers and visionaries. Stanford social scientist & innovator BJ Fogg discusses his model f...
Executive Nurse Fellow Jerry Mansfield explains why the University Hospital and the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital do not have a BSN-only hi...
We create new opportunities for better health by investing in health where it starts—in our homes, schools, and jobs.
Developing small community homes as alternatives to nursing homes, this radical, new national model for skilled nursing care returns control...
Hear from social scientist BJ Fogg, RWJF’s Entrepreneur-in-Residence Thomas Goetz, a team with a vision for creating a social epidemic of sa...
NewPublicHealth spoke with Danny McGoldrick, vice president of research at the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, about “A Broken Promise to Ou...
Team members, grantees, and guests discuss breakthrough ideas that will allow us to move toward solving challenges in health care.
Telehealth Technology Could Help Obese Youth Get Better Treatment, Lose Weight - Study: Psychiatrists Less Likely than Other Doctors to Acce...
Patrick M. Krueger recently co-authored a study that examines the characteristics and mortality risks of nondrinker subgroups to explain why...
Imagine a shared national culture of health in which being healthy and staying healthy are esteemed social values.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is working to increase awareness and understanding of the impact of ACEs and the need to develop effectiv...
When companies invest in employee wellness, it’s good for health, productivity ... and the bottom line.